Monday 7 October 2013

How can I befriend these people?

As previously mentioned in last month's post, I have found the Dutch to be a little hard to decipher. They are kind and helpful people but the closer you think you are getting to being their friend, the further you actually are. Sometimes I picture myself as a small woodpecker pecking away at a tree (the typical Dutchman) and reaching a very tough bit of the tree that can no longer be pecked through.


Being half Nederlander myself, I am becoming increasingly determined to be accepted into the Dutch community. Don't get me wrong, I've made some great friends here from all over the place but I can't help feel a little envious when I cycle past bars and cafés overflowing with blond people having some terrific banter. There are a couple of obstacles I must peck my way through before being a step closer to joining these nights of laughter and beer with the locals:


Obstacle n°1: Even if you attempt to speak two words of Dutch with them they will immediately switch to English. However, if you do speak English they will ask you “how come you do not speak Dutch?” Breaking this cycle without causing offence requires the diplomatic skills of a UN negotiator. I've been told you need to reply that you are learning but finding it hard which will then give them a sense of superiority.


Obstacle n°2: The Netherlands is a small country which makes traveling around it quick and easy. The Dutch know they are never far from one another and thus reconvene most weekends either in their hometown or in the city where one of them is studying. This means that they seldom experience the alarming thought that they'll end up all by their lonesome if they don't make the effort to kindle new friendships. This all boils down to them not really needing to form new bonds with random foreigners claiming to be half Dutch, making me the woodpecker once again.


So there you have it, the two main obstacles I have encountered so far. But I am not giving up folks, come Spring I'll be writing posts about how I can't get a moment away from the Dutch.  




Despite what it sounds like, I have actually made some friends (proof above)

1 comment:

  1. Hi!
    We have read your blog www.http://erasmusthegoudalife.blogspot.fr where you write about your Erasmus experience in The Netherlands. We would like to know if you could write an article, talking about how Utrecht is and which things you like the most about the city.

    GAPBRAVE is the first bilingual global travel guide supporting local cultures worldwide: http://du.gapbrave.com/about/. We are now accepting submissions from contributors, journalists, travel writers and photographers. Contributors are free to choose topics. For instance: night life, culture activities, flea markets, restaurants...

    In its BETA phase, GAPBRAVE does not offer monetary compensation. As a collaborative platform of expression, GAPBRAVE is free for readers. Contributors, in turn, are offered the chance to showcase their journalistic talent to an international audience, and grow professionally while interacting with professional journalists and editors.

    Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

    Thank you for your time. We look forward to working with you!

    Sincerely,

    ANDREA JIMÉNEZ RODRÍGUEZ | Editor

    GAPBRAVE | Juan Bravo 58-60. 28006. Madrid.
    T. +34 911 287 235

    editor@gapbrave.com
    www.gapbrave.com
    www.facebook.com/gapbrave
    @gapbrave

    ReplyDelete