Wednesday 2 October 2013

A true Dutch gal

During the time that I have been ignoring my little piece of the world wide web, I have been settling in to my new life. 

Proof that I am or soon to be a true Dutch gal:

1) I can remember and spell the main street names and places of Utrecht (it's harder than you think you arrogant beasts). I know where to find the widest variety of beer, the cool jams and the sweetest pancakes. I will reveal all soon/when I can be bothered - bare with. 

2) I have joined a gym in town where the classes are all in Dutch. Queue me copying everything the teacher does because I don't always quite understand what's going on. On one memorable occasion she started jumping up and down speaking the Dutch lingo. Naturally I copied her but looked like a complete freak show as it wasn't meant to be an exercise but just her portraying her excitement about giving a gym class. 

3) I have opened a bank account with the help of a man who looks suspiciously like Geppetto from Pinocchio. There was much confusion on his part about me having a Dutch passport and not being able to speak Dutch. Sorry Geppetto, blame it on my Papa. Opening an account in the Netherlands is essential because shops, bars, supermarkets, THE WHOLE FREAKING COUNTRY, don't take Visa but only Maestro. For this you will go through a gruelling process, some might even say that the bank will become your second home. You'll need your passport, proof of enrolment from your university, proof of address (which you'll get when registering with the city which is a period of my life I have wiped from my memory and thus won't be blogging about), a Dutch telephone number and a great set of tits teeth. 

4) I have fallen off my bike. It wasn't a casual fall either, it was scandalous. To the point where a man opened the window of his home and asked if I was alright. I was under the naive impression that pavement curbs were only a hazard when attempting to parallel park a car but they are in fact vicious all round. My ego has only remained unscathed because I've witnessed other über cool people fall. Conclusion: it happens to the best of us.


'til soon x


No comments:

Post a Comment